Thursday 14 August 2014

Godmorgen (Good Morning in Dansk)...

Godmorgen to you. I know you're probably reading my title and thinking why is this Asian girl/lady greeting us in a foreign language? It's Dansk or Danish btw. I started picking up the Danish language sometime end of 2011. Why? you may ask. Well, the typical reason for an individual to do something is because of interest or they're highly motivated to do it. For me, it was because I love learning new things and learning a new language has always been something I enjoy and find interesting. Why Danish of all the many languages out there like Japanese or French? I did try my tongue at French early 2011, I started out enjoying it and after a month of growing through the Mp3 Language Tutorial, it started to get really tough and I was getting all tongue tied, so I realized that if I really wanted to pick up French, I really need a teacher or someone to guide me through it. Back to the reason for choosing to learn Danish. The Danish language can only be understood by the Scandinavians - Danish, Norwegian, Swedish and maybe even the Finnish. I had a teacher, a motivator to teach me Dansk, min kaerlighed (my boyfriend, my lover). Anders M. Olsen was a really good guy, boyfriend.

Anyway, I still get very fascinated when I hear people speaking Dansk. I know this may sound weird but when I hear someone speaking Dansk, I would imagine this was how it was when the Vikings used to speak to each other. Btw, Jeg elsker dig (I love you) is one of the many phrases that an individual will tend to want to learn to say in any new language that they learn. I guess it's somewhat important to most individuals, to express how they feel.


Talking about Vikings, I had the chance to visit the Viking Museet (Viking Museum), Roskilde and there I saw Viking Ship Relics and also Anders and I came across this old text, this was how the Vikings in the olden days would communicate in writing. He decided to encode a secret message for me based on this ancient text method.

 
Besides Anders and a few more Danish people that I know. I got to know Esben S. Krarup that's working here in Malaysia at the end of 2013. Esben left for London after about a month plus of us getting to know each other. But, guess what? He's back in town again as he just got transferred back early this month. I really need to catch up with him soon. He still thinks that me learning Dansk in useless as the language can only be used if you're living in Denmark or Scandinavia. That's Esben, he's very opinionated about things and he's very blunt. I guess most Danes are like that. They're very straight to the point, which I really like. I like honesty.


XoXo, ValAtkinson

No comments:

Post a Comment